Karya I Made Andi Arsana, ST., ME Batas Maritim Antarnegara - Sebuah Tinjauan Teknis dan Yuridis (Gadjah Mada University Press, 2007) more...

Monday, October 01, 2007

LOS resolution

Being in New York this time gives me great opportunities. General Assembly is ongoing and other important conference are here to attend. This afternoon, Sampan (the fellow from Thailand) had a chance to be in the LOS resolution meeting in Conference Room 8. Being in such an important conference is an hilarious experience. I could observe closely how people from the Division of Ocean Affairs and Law of the Sea (DOALOS) of the UN Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) and delegates from several countries debated on the LOS resolution.

To me personally, the discussion was really interesting when it came to the talk on continental shelf and Commission on the Limits of Continental Shelf. The topic closely relates to what I am currently doing in my research. The discussion was about responding the response of International Maritime Organization (IMO) to the previous draft of the resolution. I could observe how delegates from USA, Canada, China, Norway, Guatemala, Portugal and Australia played their roles in establishing final resolution. It was a precious experience to me to see the real negotiation, something I only watched on TV or read from books.

No comments: